Skip to main content

Dealing with teens and other people that know everything...

Polish teenagers.Image via WikipediaWhat happens to our bundles of joy? In the beginning, these little delights gave our lives meaning, then suddenly in the blink of an eye they change.  Mom and dad become old and geeky and oblivious to everything relevant in a teens eyes. How did that happen? Moreover, when did we, become our parents?
Teenagers are a strange brood. They vacillate between happy and joyful and moody and obstinate. I do believe, in my experience as a parent for 23 plus years, and I'm not done yet...that the minute puberty sets in..the worm turns for our little former bundles of joy.
My kids use odd terms that cover a wide variety of emotional expression. For instance, if I tell DJ, "my 12 year old version of Little Man Tate" to take out the garbage, I hear "taking out the garbage is gay". Now, because I am no perfect, politically correct  parent, I usually retort by saying "Well then I picked the right person for the job then". Yes, I know..I'm horrible. I just don't adjust well to new age back talk. If a smart answer deserves it, a smart retort it shall get. My bigger question is, when did everything become gay? I can say, "DJ, how do you like these boots?" and I will get the catch all phrase again, "mom those are soooo gay", again, I say something like "well then you must want a pair"..believe it or not he will laugh at this, and say "mom you are so lame"...to which I say, "well, at least I'm not gay"...
If I had said such to my own parents, I would have been sent to the ground with a resounding thud from a swift backhand across the mug. Today, that makes for a solid case of child abuse. So what does a parent do with these little know it all, have an answer for everything, that think you are lame and gay?
I confess, I am not a big promoter of spanking or hitting..however, I am big on threats. I do on occasion threaten. I usually put forth my best acting on these occasions, "DJ, how would you like to end up on the tip of my boot and flying through the air like you're in  the circus boy?" Unfortunately, my attempts at being a threatening and scary figure to this kid fall short as he laughs his head off.
Now lets talk about those little princesses we give birth to. O M GEEEEEE....I am convinced our teen daughters are prime examples of split or multiple personality syndrome. My true hope is, with this knowledge, that it isn't me and my unorthodox ed parenting methods that caused these disassociation's. Was it the first time I laughed at their hair style that prompted them to disassociate into another personality? OMGeeee..or was it that time I snickered when I saw her first attempt at applying make up that did it? I don't know what caused my darling little princess to turn into Sybil, but I do know she definitely isn't the same little pink princess I brought home from the hospital.
Now I get the famous mumbled retorts when I say the wrong thing, and the ever so appreciated "eye roll". I never know what will set her off, but I do know I will. It will come like a tornado, without warning. Oh sure you may sense something is amiss...but you have no idea of the damage until after the fact. I never know what type of "Chelsea" I am going to get each day. In the morning before school we are all a little grumpy so that is no indication. Alas though, I look for signs as she exits the bus in the afternoon..is she going to wave sweetly at me? Or will I get the "death stare". I never know in advance. So what do we do? Do I acknowledge it? Do I ignore it and see if she comes to me with any problem that may have ticked her off? Sometimes all of the above. In some cases, a teen will blow something out of proportion just because they some how sense that is expected of them. I usually am no big fan of endorsing a negative attitude, and if I sense this is the  way things are headed I usually try to shift the energy by talking about something positive. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Some times, you just have to leave them alone. Let them have their down time, let them have their moment, and then get on with the business of living. They know you are there if they need you, at least, they should. If they don't you can always tell them on one of those days when they are in a funk. There will be many, just go with it. Its all apart of this lovely thing we call our childhood. I just lie back and wait, and know in my heart that one day, they will blame me for everything, and then it will dawn on them, that I wasn't that bad. That comes when they have their own little brood...it allllll comes full circle moms, dads..just be patient.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recognizing personality disorders in your family: Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Image via Wikipedia Personality disorders are largely responsible for most of the relationship problems in families. Most all personality disorders stem from a long lineage of childhood abuse and/or neglect. Understanding some of the signs that are classic symptoms of personality disorders can be a way for loved ones to isolate the problems, and possibly seek treatment for them.  One such personality disorder is NPD, or Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  This list gives a run down of some of the traits associated with this specific disorder: A tendency to disregard or downplay other peoples trauma or feelings. Constantly shifting focus or conversation back on their personal experiences instead. A failure to validate other peoples feelings. A tendency to smother those around them, not because they “love” them so much, but because they need the reassurance for themselves. Addicted to the “feeling” of being loved, and constantly forcing situations and events that are nega

Shifting your dependency off of others for your happiness

The Way to Happiness (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) Happiness is not a given in this lifetime. It is something that has to be sought after, and it is often the ways we seek our happiness that determine how long and how successful our end results will be. People with mood disorders, depression and other personality issues become dependent on many external contributions to elevate their mood and happiness. When pills aren't getting you where you want to be.. This truth is, we all build up a tolerance to pills in some way or another. So what do we do then? Take stock in all the external factors that have been in your life of late. Have they been stressful, unsure, and negative? These things will come and go in life so pills will only carry you so far.  It is a good idea to talk your family doctor to rule out other contributing problems that may be affecting your mood, including having a thorough blood work up done to rule out low levels of iron, B12 etc. Sometimes there is an

Finding ways to heal ourselves from emotional pain

All people suffer from the pain of life in varying ways. We often carry these pains of suffering around like emotional weights tied to our necks. In time the pain has to be alleviated and released. The release of pain in our hearts is best removed through the simple and random things we do for others in which we seek no return of gesture. A bird can never get far off the ground when it is carrying a load it can not bear..we humans are the same way..letting go of those things that hold us down, keep us from flying, moving and rising to be a better person is key to our healing.. Random and anonymous acts of kindness  There are many ways we can do these things to lighten the woes of our own scars. We can do kind things that are anonymous and with the intent to bring joy, love or benefit to another. We can tend to our gardens and plant trees for each milestone we cross in our lives. Giving of ourselves freely, brings joy, peace and nourishment to our souls. When this happens ou